Friday, December 7, 2012

Chipboard Angel Tutorial by Tracey S.

It's Tracey S. here to share a tutorial with you for the chipboard angels I created for my "Sweet Angel" page created with the December ScrapThat! Embellishment Add On (EAO) Kit. These angels are just so lovely and perfectly pair with the gorgeous Kaisercraft Turtle Dove collection.


Supplies:
~ FabScraps chipboard angel from the ScrapThat! December EAO Kit
~ Selection of paints including gold for wings and horn, skin tone for face/hands, and color of choice for hair.
~ Super fine glitter – I used Glitter Ritz
~ Distress Crackle Paint ~ Clear Rock Candy
~ Distress Ink ~ Frayed Burlap and Tattered rose or any ink in a light antique color and for the angel’s blush
~ Mix’d Media Inx ~ Jasmine
~ Mod Podge ~ Gloss
Not pictured
~ Gold Metallic Dazzle Thin Line Strips from December EAO Kit


Step 1: Start with your bare chipboard pieces. Plan your page arrangement so you know which side(s) to paint. I painted two angels facing each other, so my photos may look like they are in reverse at times, since I didn't photograph the same one throughout the process. :-)

Step 2: Paint the wings with metallic gold paint. Immediately while the paint is still wet, sprinkle with supper fine glitter, tap off excess and set aside to dry.

Step 3: Paint horn using gold metallic paint and hair the color of your choice. Set aside to dry.

Step 4: Use a small paint brush to apply Mix'd Media Jasmine ink on the dress. Of the white inks I've tried out Donna Salazar's Jasmine gives the best coverage by far. The reason I used ink here rather than paint is that I wanted a vintage look with bits of the chipboard showing through. You could also use antique white paint. 

Step 5: Apply Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint onto dress only. I put down a dollop of distress paint and spread it out with my finger, but if you prefer a brush, that would work too.  Set aside. It will form cracks as it dries. 

Step 6: When the crackle paint is completely dry, gently rub Frayed Burlap Distress ink into the cracks. Then brush a coat of gloss Mod Podge or other sealant of your choice over crackled dress. (I have found that unsealed crackle has a way of flaking off.)

Step 7: Paint face and hands with skin tone paint. If you are like me and don’t have a skin tone paint in your stash, try mixing antique white and just a touch a brown and pink or red.  Once dry, add blush by rubbing on a small bit of pink ink. 

Step 8: Cut a small section of one of the Dazzle strips and apply to the neckline. Fine gold cording could be substituted for the Dazzle strips, or it could be left off. 

Once again here she is on my "Sweet Angel" page. 


Even if you don't have one of these lovely angels, you can use the crackle or glittered paint on any chipboard piece. 

We are currently accepting new Kit Club Members.  For details please stop by our ScrapThat! Store.

3 comments:

  1. Tracey, I just love your tutorials. Your my "go to" blog when I need help! Your amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your angel. Congratulations on winning the WAW prize. Have an enlightened Advent season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous angels! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete