Monday, June 10, 2013

Sarah's Tattered Wild Sunset Rose Tutorial

Today, I am sharing how I created the flowers used on my "Grandpa's Girls" layout, created with the ScrapThat! June Kit - "From Sunrise to Sunset". I've decided to call these flowers Tattered Wild Sunset Roses since I used the Tim Holtz Tattered Floral die and the flower colours remind me of a sunset!

1. Materials Required:
     -Coffee Filters
     -Tim Holtz Tattered Florals Die
     -Die Cutting machine (I used a Cuttlebug)
     -Mists in your choice of colours
     -Jewels/Brads for centre of flowers (I used the Versailles Flats included in the June Kit EAO)
     -White Craft Glue or Glue Dots
2. Cut the coffee filters with the Tattered Florals Die and your Die cutter.
3. You'll need a lot of flowers to do all the layering - I cut a total of seven coffee filters to yield 28 flowers.
4. Spread out the Die Cut Flowers and mist them with your choice of colours - I've used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists in Lemon Zest, Butternut Squash, Oriental Poppy, and Candy Apple Red, as well as Smooch Spritz in River Mossy and Black Velvet.
5. Let the flowers dry completely. You should have a good assortment of flowers in a variety of variegated colours.
6. Choose the flowers you want to layer for your flower - use a variety of colours - for the larger flowers on my layout, I've used 2 large, 2 medium, 1 small and 1 extra-small flower, plus the centre jewel.
7. Layer your flowers, offsetting the petals of each successive layers - I used Glue Dots (Craft) to adhere the layers together, but you can use white craft glue as well.
8. A close-up of all the assembled flowers on the layout - the 28 die cut flowers let me create 3 large and 2 small flowers.
That's it - these aren't hard to make and really make a huge impact on a layout. Here they are on the completed layout! I finished off the flower cluster with some leaves cut from the brown ribbon in the June Kit and some raffia-wrapped floral wire from my stash.
I hope you'll give these flowers (or a variation of them) a try - be sure to leave me a comment and link if you do so I can see your creations!

1 comment:

  1. What gorgeous flowers, Sarah!! Thanks for sharing!! ~ Blessings

    ReplyDelete